Acacia Network Case Worker/Housing Specialist in Bronx, New York
We are the largestHispanic non-profit organization in New York, and the second-largest Hispanic non-profit in the country. We’ve been servicing communities since 1969, and we’ve helped thousands and thousands of people with healthcare, substance abuse treatment, home and hospice care, affordable housing, and more. Each year, we care for more than 181,000 children and 118,000 adults. That’s an average of about 3,200 families. And by hiring talented individuals like you, we’ve been able to expand quickly, with offices in Albany, Buffalo, Orlando, Tennessee, Maryland and Puerto Rico.
The Case Worker/Housing Specialist is responsible for permanent housing placement for all housing ready individuals of the shelter. The Housing Specialist will have an assigned caseload and will be responsible for the successful placement of these individuals in accordance with DHS’ contractual requirements. The Housing Specialist works with community organizations, government agencies and property owners to secure living arrangements, negotiate rents, deposits and move-in terms on behalf of their clients. The position involves various tasks that increase housing options for people who are trying to transition to permanent housing.
*Position Overview: *
Under supervision of the Program Director, the Housing Specialist is responsible for providing case management, housing support to participants and monthly reporting requirements that will ensure compliance with the parameters of the program. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities as defined by the ADA to perform the essential functions of the job.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS*:*
- Acts as liaison between participants, superintendents and building managers to ensure all repairs are completed to either the participant’s apartment unit or the building.
- Maintains a Building and Apartment Log, which includes date, and condition of the apartments and buildings.
- Reports all non-compliance issues with respect to the apartment and building to the Supportive Housing Manager, including incidents requiring immediate attention.
- Attends monthly DHS and NYC Co meetings.
Case Management and Record Keeping
- Provides case management and on site crisis intervention
- Completes required service plans.
- Facilitates monthly CAB tenant meetings.
- Educates participants with respect to good housekeeping and home-safety practices, budgeting and landlord/tenant relations, as necessary
- Maintains appropriate documentation of all tenant contacts.
- Documents monthly progress notes in the participants’ chart
- Conducts home visits to help evaluate participants’ compliance with the rules and regulations of the program and to assess the need for referral to supportive services
- Takes random urine samples for drug screening toxicology
- May escort participants to social services agencies, as requested
- Reports any alleged child neglect or abuse to the Supportive Housing Manager
Housing Reporting Requirements
- Responsible for completing annual tenant rent calculation forms.
- Responsible for completing annual apartment inspection forms.
- Updates monthly program data base.
- Ensures annual leases are updated and filed
Here’s what we can offer you.
You’d be making a difference in people’s lives, and we want to make a difference in yours. That’s why we offer perks like:
- A generous compensation package, to attract (and keep) top talent like you.
- Great health, disability, and life insurance plans, to handle any of life’s unexpected curveballs.
- Generous paid time off, so you can recharge your batteries with friends and family.
- A pension plan, to help secure your financial future.
As a leader in the field of substance abuse services, Acacia Network promotes a drug free workplace.
Acacia Network is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity.
No employment services or agencies need respond.
- 3+ years previous relevant experience in a Mental or Behavioral Health environment required. Associate’s Degree or an equivalent related field required
- Ability to use business acumen to exercise good judgment and decision-making.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues with diplomacy and discretion.
- Must be able to multi task with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to communicate both verbally and in written form.
- Commitment to cultural diversity and sensitivity.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor under pressure, and operate with a keen sense of urgency and commitment to quality.
Location: Bronx, NY
Category: Supportive Housing
Job Type: Part-Time
Required Education: Associate (AA, AS...)